Dear Brentwood Families,
Brentwood School District is proud to introduce its partnership with Canvas by Instructure for the upcoming school year. Canvas by Instructure is a Learning Management System (LMS) designed to better help students, parents, and teachers navigate online learning. Canvas implements the same concepts as Google Classroom, but with more sophisticated tools to improve the user experience of teachers and families alike.
From a big picture perspective, the goal of Canvas is to become a central warehouse of all classroom content, documentation, assignments, quizzes, grading, schedules, and general information related to each class. Content can be created with Canvas, or pulled in from Google, YouTube, and many other resources already in use today. Parents and students will no longer need to access a number of various websites to complete coursework or support their student.
How might teachers benefit from Canvas? Teachers can use Canvas to:
- Receive and grade student assignments, discussions, and quizzes.
- Easily align assignments and rubrics to standards and/or learning objectives.
- Provide students with written, audio, or video feedback and multiple revision/submission opportunities.
- Organize all work and course-related events into one, drag-and-drop calendar.
- Push course notifications to students via email and text.
How might a student benefit from Canvas? Students can use Canvas to:
- Access class materials (calendar, assignments, quizzes, etc.) online using any device or any browser.
- Track their progress through ongoing teacher feedback tools.
- Receive course announcements, grade notifications, etc. instantaneously on their preferred device(s).
- Easily collaborate with peers and teachers.
How might a parent benefit from Canvas? Parents can use Canvas to:
- Easily track multiple children/classes with one access point.
- Check student grades.
- View assignment due dates.
- Read instructions for assignments and projects.
- Follow teacher calendars.
- Easily communicate with teachers.
- Use Canvas mobile app for additional access and alerts.
More information, including training opportunities, will be available for parents and students soon. In the meantime, you can learn more about Canvas by visiting our website, www.brentwoodmoschools.org and clicking on Academics.